That's because we were making little lapel pins. A little bit less than 1.5" in diameter, these Campfire Pins illustrate the logo for MaxFunCon, a sort of creativity-and-comedy conference-like-event held annually in the mountains to the east of LA. Jennifer and I got to attend the second one, which was two years ago, and had a great time. We made some pins for that one as well, and were super-honored when they asked us to do some more for this years event.
Here's what we made, viewed real close-up like:
Time was tight (even tighter than usual) so we were delighted to find we had a perfect piece of maple already in our wood supply. We sliced it into very thin pieces, sanded them perfectly flat, and laid them out on Jobot.
The hardest part of it may have been attaching the pin backs. We had to adhere each little doohickey separately. It was slow and challenging, but Jennifer came up with a good system for keeping the operation straight. Check out the orderly rows in the background. You can tell I wasn't working alone on this one!